2011 Review – 2012 Resolutions
It’s been a roller coaster year for me emotionally. Early on, I had high hopes to join the manga industry following a “win” at Yen Press but that has instead led me to pursue starting my own business, a most fortunate turn of events I think.
Not only did learning about the ins & outs of publication and comic distribution expanded my understanding of the industry, I can also say that I’m better prepared to take care of my own interests when it comes to making deals with bigger publishers. I’m very grateful for the opportunities and fortunate events that have come my way last year and hopeful that better things have yet to come this year!
– created and maintained a functioning portfolio & website
– had an illustration published in the official Voltron artbook
– was chosen by Yen Press for the New Talent Search and provided some feedback
– decided to pursue self-publishing and performed extensive research and planning for first book
– wrote & rewrote three major drafts for Polterguys
– managed to complete at least one colored illustration per month
– included figure drawing and speedpainting as regular weekly warm-up exercises
– complete full-color illustrations on a weekly basis and composition/painting challenges regularly
– raise funds for printing book via Indiegogo or other alternatives
– release Polterguys online, then print and sell printed copies
– attend Anime Expo prepared
– seek freelance work on a regular basis
– attempt to balance life and work more