Full Name: Laurianne Uy
Nicknames: Laur / laurbits / laurchan / psychoe
Contact: laurie.uy [at] gmail [dot] com
Laur has been helplessly drawing comics since 1997 and has had her works published in high school and college newspapers. She served as an award-winning contributor and as Arts & Graphic editor for Chabot College’s The Spectator.
Laur may have attended UC Berkeley as a History of Art major but cheated the system and wrote her honors thesis on manga and female representation as seen in CLAMP’s X/1999. She helped curate student exhibitions and interned at art museums while working as a freelance illustrator and graphic designer.
Awards & Achievements
- Nominated, Best New Talent 2013 Stumptown Comic Arts Awards - Polterguys Vol. 1
- Recipient, Xeric Grant 2012 – Polterguys Vol. 1
- Winner, Dark Horse’s Inspired by Manga Contest 2012 – The Dark Horse Fan
- Finalist, Yen Press New Talent Search 2011 – Final Track
- First Place, On-the-Spot Editorial Cartoon, 2004 JACC Annual California Conference
- First Place, Mail-in Advertising, 2005 JACC Northern California Conference
- Third Place, Graphics Illustrations, 2003 Bay Area Collegiate Newspaper Contest
- Journalism Award for Excellence in Graphic Arts 2003, Chabot College
- On-the-Spot Manga Contest, Anima Anime Week 2001, Makati, Metro Manila
- “I am the Art Show, Deal With it” The Legend of Korra Art Show Monk Space, March 23-24, 2013 – Press Release / Related posts
- ”Six Seasons and a Movie Art Show” NBC’s Community Art Show, Monk Space, June 23-24, 2012 – Press Release / Related blog posts / Photos
Yusuke Murata (Eyeshield 21, Donten Prism Solar Car)
Hiromu Arakawa (Fullmetal Alchemist)
Naoki Urasawa (20th Century Boys, Monster, Pluto)
Gurihiru (Avatar the Last Airbender: The Promise, Thor and the Warriors Four)
CLAMP (Card Captor Sakura, Magic Knight Rayearth, Clover)
Linda Medley (Castle Waiting)
See more of my favorite artists here >>
PolterguysI completed my first published graphic novel in July 2012 and it was awarded the final Xeric grant the same year.
Manga ResourcesHelpful blog posts on processes, tips, and resources about creating comics.